Friday, December 17, 2010

Teamwork -- Family Chore Time

I am so excited!  My kids are home from school because of snow... second day in a row.  Today I HAD to get stuff done... they're now off for Christmas break.  Sometimes I give them lists of chores to do to help out and we do a chore time.  My bipolar kid, especially, has the tendency to throw a MASSIVE temper tantrum, and then he loses screen time or whatnot.

Today, I've done 6 things on my list -- all my top priority things.  I gave the kids little lists, even the 4 year old.  They're finishing the last items now -- and my bp kid didn't bat an eyelash and IS DONE!!!  He's earned the privilege of playing in the snow and is happy as a lark out there.

Here are my lists for today.  I'm playing a new game I learned from the awesome ladies on the Flylady chat... Twist & Shout II.  This is where you make a list of 6 To Do items which don't take longer than 10 minutes, then right before the top or bottom of the hour, you roll a die or draw from a hat and pick 2 numbers.  You do each of those items on your list -- one for ten minutes, then the next for ten minutes, and then you get ten minutes to chat or play Farmville or whatever you want -- just as long as you drink some water to stay hydrated.  Then it's top or bottom of the hour again and you pick two more numbers and go again.  It's fun!  I sometimes have items on my list that take longer than 10 minutes -- I just do what I can in 10 minutes and then jot them down for use on a list another time. 

My A list today was:

1 = locate checks to take to bank, endorse, fill deposit slip  DONE
2 = go to bank DONE (ok I had to take extra time on this but got back on the clock as soon as I got back, made no other stops, etc.)
3 = online gift order DONE
4 = dress DONE
5 = clutter in kitchen/FR DONE
6 = playroom clutter DONE

My kids' lists were:

DS 10 -- DONE with all items!

1 = retrieve anything he wanted to keep from piles I raked up (!!!) on the playroom floor *and put away these items!***

2 = empty dish drainer, put dirty dishes in dishwasher, hand wash all non-dishwasher dishes and put in drainer

3 = empty all downstairs trash cans and take to outside bin

4 = swish and swipe main bathroom (wipe down sinks and toilet rim, quick-scrub toilet); restock w/ toilet paper, clean towel and soap if empty; remove all dirty clothes and such from the floor and put away properly


DD, 8 --

1 = same as above DONE

2 = vacuum area rugs in living room and entry DONE

3 = empty all upstairs trash cans and take to outside bin DONE

4 = same as #4 above but with downstairs bathroom IN PROGRESS


DS, 4 --  ALL done!  (I need to revac the rug when he's not around)

1 = same as #1 above

2 = vacuum area rug in f.r. and kitchen

3 = pick up all trash on bedroom floor and throw away properly

4 = clean glass on front storm door and on entertainment center door



Here's my B list I'm getting ready to tackle:  It's 2 pm and I just rolled the die.  Going to do #2 from 2-2:10 and #4 from 2:10-2:20.  Free time 2:20-2:30.  :)
     2:45 pm and this is a late update -- I did the paper pile and discarded a TON.  Big progress.  I rounded up all the Christmas cards we've received and put them in a Christmas-y box I have.  I wrote out 3 cards/notes and addressed and sealed them.  Now I just need to stamp and mail them.  Checked off the envelopes of the folks I sent to (I mean I put a check on the envelope they had sent me).  Christmas cards are wayy fun but not easy for an addled mom!  :)
     I'm going to goof off for 12 more minutes and then get back on track at the top of the hour -- # 1 and then #6. 
     Well... it's 5:12.  I've been obsessively doing the FACE thing since I last updated.  So much for sticking to 10 min tasks.  Can you say Hyperfocus???  Oy.  But I have dragged myself away from my evil-looking budget book.  I'll have to patch things up there later. 
     Time to get onto the next task. 
     Oops.  Messed up!  I did #6 in the next list by mistake... so my article is done and submitted.  Yay.  I guess I'll do #5 and then #3 this time around. 
     Done with #3 and #6.  I got goofed up and haven't done #5.  So this next round is #5 and then #1 on the C list... for my own clarity, that's laundry and then 10 minutes of grocery game. 

1 = FACE (Flylady thing = Financial Awareness Continually Empowers -- "FACE" your finances daily; I'm going to update my budget book and make sure I'm don't need to write any checks; figure out where I've overspent!!!)   DONE

2 = file papers (just do 10 min of throwing away, sorting, filing, whatever)  Done!

3 = dejunking (I'm going to do the rest of that computer armoire top I started the other day in the other post)  Done -- I can pretty much see the top of the computer armoire!  Woohoo!

4 = cards (10 minutes work on Christmas cards)  Done!

5 = laundry (make sure clean stuff is folded and put away, "reboot" laundry and stick something else in the washer -- it's a never-ending process with 5 family members and one serious bedwetter)

6 = gift list (I keep a spreadsheet of what I'm buying, whether it's bought/delivered/wrapped, how much it cost, and a running total of how much budget I have left to spend on each person on the list  -- need to update, wrap a few gifts sometime)  DONE




Here's the C list:

1 = grocery list (I use the Grocery Game website -- need to look at the list today and start my online grocery shopping)

2 = bake (need to make more choc chip banana bread)

3 = cut Sandy's nails (dog)

4 = big kids' wrapping (each big kid has 2 gifts to wrap, one for each of his/her sibs)

5 = Sandy's bath (still the dog)

6 = articles (I write online freelance articles and have one I need to polish and send off)

No comments:

Post a Comment