Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Debriefing 2010

I like to jot down what worked and what didn't for each holiday or event so I can remember when it rolls around again, and perhaps save myself some trouble.  Or repeat what did go well that I might forget about!

Without further ado:  Thanksgiving 2010

NUMBER OF PEOPLE:  A+
We had 10 people.  That was awesome and I think everyone had a nice time.  That is HUGE for my family -- we aren't used to have more than 7 or 8.  (I know some families have 30-50 people present -- I cannot imagine!)

TIME TO EAT: A-
We had dinner at 1:30.  Well that was that "aimed for" time -- it was really 1:45-2 pm before we actually ate.  Some of that was my last minute jostling, some was because my mom arrived right at 1:30 with the goods so we had to distribute them. Essentially it worked well though.

TABLE ARRANGEMENT: B
We had the 6-person table in the dining room (that's w/ the leaf in) and the card table in the living room but it was really sort of in the open double-arch between the living and dining rooms.  It really sort of blocked traffic flow -- I think I would probably push it more in the living room next time around but basically things were fine.

DINING ROOM SPACE:  B
Got rid of the microwave cart behind the door (kitchen doorway w/ little double-doors which open into the dining room).  That was great -- although I did fill the space w/ two TV-type tables to hold the triple crockpot thing I used to keep the stuffings (two types) and mashers warm. That made it crowded but better than the deeper micro-cart I used as a beverage stand.

I have a small console-type cabinet I use as a sideboard in the dining room.  It doesn't match the furniture -- it really goes in the living room.  It did OK.  What I'd like to do is somehow get the cd cabinet out of the living room (really we need to donate it but that's a whole audio issue w/ the hub) and put the small console/music cabinet back into the living room where it goes.  It functions OK as a sideboard in the dining room but a larger, shallower, wider surface would do better, perhaps w/ closed storage underneath.  I guess I need to find a second-hand buffet cabinet of some sort.  And then we need to move the small corner cabinet to the unused back corner of the room.  I'm also thinking if we were to do the tv table thing again using the far corner would make a lot more sense (the one where the small corner cabinet currently is).

FOOD:  A
I think everything worked OK.  I did mess up the squash casserole -- forgot to get the stuffing mix and it really was lacking on the top and bottom.  Didn't taste the same until I layered the stuffing stuffing on the plate with it.  :)  Still, yum.  I think I might have been better off with frozen squash at this time of year though -- I use yellow crookneck summer squash and the ones I bought looked great but were lacking. 

We did have a ton of leftovers but I think it was probably just right as we sent some home w/ all of the visitors, and took some to a friend of mine who had dinner with his kids but ate out.  He lives alone and had no leftovers so he was very happy to get some. In retrospect, I wouldn't change that at all. 

TABLE DECORATIONS: C
The table linens I got from Target were terrific and I envision using them for years.  They toned down the watermelon color on the bottoms of the dining room walls too.  :)  I did not, however, unrumple them.  I also hadn't set the table the day before as planned -- poor DH had to rush to finish decluttering all the paper piles I procrastinated on.  <guilt/shame>  He also had to set the table willy nilly.  Not too proud of that but he was a trooper and did great.  Of course.  So next year: dejunk the dining room well before (!) and set the table a day or two prior.  Lay a sheet over it if need be. 

I did not clean my candlesticks.  They are glass/crystal and are filthy from previous use.  They really were shameful.  I did have 4 taper candles -- the federal style ones I love -- and also got some vanilla-scented pillar candles but forgot to light the one on the sideboard. 

Would have helped to turn the lights down in the dining room.  Would also help to have functional blinds -- the kids have been murder on the metal mini-blinds and they barely work.  I would love to eat w/o feeling as though I were sitting right on the street on display.  :) 

I never did get a centerpiece going.  Need to work on that next year.

Used a flameless short pillar candle on the kids' table.  With a seasonal pinecone/berry candle-ring around it, I swear you could not tell it was a battery candle.  I was really impressed.  $3, Walmart.  Note to self -- get more!  It was even scented.  Did require AAA batteries though, which I luckily had on hand.

KIDS: B
The kids themselves were OK.  They were amped up but did fine.  Thing that worked well: Blessing Mix project.  Went of beautifully and kept them involved.
During dinner, the kids were pretty good.  Aunt A was terrific enough to sit with them at the kids' table so she kept them occupied and under control.  :) 
Bipolar DS had a meltdown with me in a different room -- I pushed him on something and he had a temper tantrum.  We could have both approached that differently but it was pretty short-lived. 
The kids ate and then left the room.  That worked great.  Things were fine and happy until the kids all got together with the adults in the living room where the kids got completely amped and were vying for attention, and the adults were tired and (some of us! *me, cough cough*) were cranking at them.  If we had not drawn them back into the same room with everyone, but instead had a movie or a project in a different room or just let them be, it likely would've been better.  But it was all good.

And boy was it lovely lovely having everyone there.  Very nice family time all around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment