Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Get My Act Together Day

Today is Wednesday.  I'm off work and it's time to get my act together. 

I went to bed at 7:30 last night!  It was inadvertent, but it happened.  I laid down for a few moments, passed out, and pretty much woke up this morning.  I have sleep apnea, also another topic for another post, but although I'm being treated with a CPAP, I still struggle with fatigue.  It got the best of me last night.  Thank goodness my husband is terrific and understanding and was willing to take care of everything while I was AWOL.

So here I am.  Kid #3 has just left for school, and it's soooo tempting to crawl back under the covers.  You would think that 11 hours was enough sleep, but apparently not. :( 

I have the usual goals to attend to -- not much progress the last two days as I worked both in the office and also at home doing some freelancing work.  (I do freelance articles for extra $ sometimes.)  So I'm kind of back where I was on Sunday evening, with the additions of cleaning up the messes we made Mon and Tues and also taking care of some other things which have cropped up.

Is anyone else exhausted and overwhelmed, or is it just me?

Before I list out goals, here is what I'm struggling with.  I'm off-kilter.  I could attack this many ways.  Do I (a) sleep as much as I can until I'm not tired anymore so I can knock out sleep debt, feel better, and get back on top of things around here? (b) really buckle down on diet and exercise as a way to increase energy and health and then worry about these tasks? (c) continue to concentrate on really pushing myself doing the freelancing, which I do enjoy, in order to make more $ and alleviate some pressure from the bills, and then get back on top of things?, or (d) just cut to the chase, do the things which need to be done around here, and then hopefully gain energy from the momentum, and also start sleeping better, etc.

What would Flylady say?  Definitely not A.  She says to go to bed at a decent hour to get rest, but to get up in the morning and make the bed to avoid crawling back in.  B?  Not to the exclusion of getting things done.  I'm such an all or nothing person, it's always This OR That, never both, but I think Flylady advocates the "jump in where you are" method, and doing what needs to be done but working in eating nutritiously and also "loving movement" or exercise.  As far as $ goes, same thing.  She had a system called FACE that deals with money, and making extra bits of money, but not at the exclusion of everything else.

So I guess the answer is complicated -- and it's not to go back to bed.  That's a tough temptation to overcome. 

I feel a post coming on about structuring time around here.  Do any of you have pretty decent routines you stick to?  I fight them by nature, but with a family of little kids, it's much healthier, although monotonous, to keep to a routine, I think.

Sigh.

Where's the fun in that?!

So I guess the answer to my morning is to do my morning routine.  I probably need to design two of them -- one for days when I work at the office and one for days where I do not.  There's just so much to be done -- I had even thought of going to the office this morning in preparation for some things due tomorrow. 

Can you say o-v-e-r-w-h-e-l-m?!!  With an ADD-er like me, that so frequently spells paralysis. 

I will not get stuck still.  I will not get stuck still. 

So my answer: create a quick, decent routine which incorporates food, exercise, a plan for writing, and the things I have to do today, then have at it.  I'll do this in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment