Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thanksgiving Planning 11-20

Thanksgiving is all about the dining room.  OK and the kitchen.  My kitchen is ok... the dining room needs help.

Here's how I'd like to see things:

Table seats 6...
  • Dress with a table cloth and some nice placemats. 
  • Set with china. 
  • Put out some sort of centerpiece -- I'm thinking something with leaves and mini pumpkins, something like that.  Pine cones.  We'll see. 
  • Set out candles.
Now, I'm having 7 adults and 3 kids, so I need another table.  I usually have fewer people and just stick a card table at the end of the real table, then cover the whole thing with a tablecloth for an awkward, yet functional, way to seat 8. 

What am I goint to do... ?  I gotta think on this a bit, but it'll be the same sort of decor.  Probably minus the candles.  :)

Making Room for Family -- 10 Tips for Maximizing Table Space This Thanksgiving
Small Houses and Holiday Dinners
How To Make Room For Thanksgiving Guests

So my to-dos:

  1. Figure out where to seat 4 more people.  -- I'm back.  Card table in adjacent living room with nice tablecloth and decorations.  :)  HAVE THE CARD TABLE SET UP IN D.R. CORNER FOR NOW WITH TABLECLOTH AND PLACEMATS ON IT
  2. Pick and clean tablecloths.  GOT THEM
  3. Purchase placemats.  GOT THEM
  4. Set out china.  IT'S READY
  5. Get candlesticks and candles all set.  (Purchase tapers?)
SAT 11/20 PM UPDATE:
I got what I needed at Target.  Everything looks fine on the table, so I just need to run them through the dryer with a damp dishtowel to shake out the wrinkles closer to the big day.  Or iron them.  Whatever.  :)

Still need to figure out a centerpiece, get candles, ...

I found some terrific playlists for Thanksgiving music.  Here they are if you need any ideas. 

NPR: Songs for Stuffing - A Thanksgiving Mix

Good Housekeeping: Thanksgiving Songs Playlist - Music for Thanksgiving Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment