Monday, November 22, 2010

Thanksgiving is Thursday, OMG!

All right, everyone (me), calm down.  Just calm down.
Let’s do a State of the Household recap:
·         Linens, nicely coordinated thanks to Tarzhay, are on the dining room table (but rumpled) and the adjunct card table (also rumpled – the linens, not the card table)
·         Fridge is a nightmare.  Except for the fruit drawer – it’s lovely.  I washed it in order to stash all the fruit I ordered from the band.  (Why did I not eat that fruit this morning for breakfast instead of sitting here at the Chick-Fil-A parking lot?!  Oh yeah, I’m disorganized and I run late a lot and had to get kid #3 to preschool on time so I bolted without food.  Again.  I need to address my eating habits – I feel another post coming on.)
·         Counters were clear but now are junky again.
·         Dining room is pretty clear except for the massive papers, now nicely corralled in the box waiting for sorting.
·         Living room is a freakin’ war zone.  Biggest thing in there is the dog crate.  Other things are items that need sorting and putting away, and then trash from all the contraband stuff my kids carry in there and eat, unnoticed they think.  (Very sneaky except for the tell-tale wrappers on the floor which the dog then shreds into wrapper confetti.)
·         Kitchen floor – still only half stripped/mopped/polished, but it’s the good half, darn it!
·         Groceries – DH is a rock star and purchased dinners for the nights through and including Wednesday.  I just need to take care of getting the things for whatever I’m left cooking after I subtract out what Mama is cooking plus what I’m cooking but Mama bought at the store trying to be helpful, bless her heart.  (I’m so confused.)
·         Main bath is currently in excellent shape.  I will not hold my breath.
·         Family room is marginal.  I did clean up some stuff (read: clean laundry I never bothered to put away) this morning instead of eating a nutritious breakfast.  (Can you say, addled priorities, Jen?!)
So my takeaway list from all of this:
1.       Clean the family room.
2.       Clean the living room. -- IN PROGRESS, LOOKS PRETTY GOOD
3.       Clear the counters.
4.       List what I’m cooking and buy the ingredients.  Also make a cook schedule.
5.       Nail down the exact meal time.
6.       Sort out dining room papers.  (Now I say this every year, and I still end up stashing these much to my three-months-later chagrin.  I WILL sort before Thanksgiving.)
7.       Clean the fridge to make way for food!
8.       Unrumple linens in dining room.
9.       Determine centerpiece.  (Need to get a gourd or two, or some Indian corn, or some such.)
10.   Clean up the front porch area (ha, I snuck this in didn’t I?!) and purchase some mums to put in the pots out there.
11.   Finish kitchen floor if there’s time.
12.   Patrol main bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment